I love sharing recipes, family memories, craft projects and the stories that go along with them. My family is my inspiriation.



Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Spicy Miso Marinade for Beef

I love the taste Asian inspired marinades to use on the grill. This is one that has been in the working stage until now. I think I have the recipe right where I like it.
One thing I always suggests when trying a new recipe is to duplicate it the first time you make it, unless there is an ingredient in the recipe you absolutely dislike. Once you have made it then you tweak it to suit your own taste buds. A great thing about making a marinade its that you can instantly tweak it before you apply it to the meat. Give the marinade a taste and add more/less of an ingredient according to your own tastes.

I marinaded some tri tip using this recipe. I like to marinade beef for at least 5 hours. Once you are ready to cook take the meat out of the fridge for about 15 minutes before cooking. Also don't forget to let the meat rest for about 5 minutes after cooking to let the juices redistribute.

Ingredients:
4T - Miso Paste
2 cloves - Garlic minced
1t - Ginger minced
1/8c Mirin
1/8c Soy sauce
1T Sambal (chili paste)
Beef of choice. I like tri tip. I cut in thick strips to get more of the marinade flavor on the beef.

Directions:
Mix all ingredients together in a mixing bowl and pour into a plastic resealable 1 gallon bag with the beef and let marinade for at least 5 hours. Grill to your particular doneness.
Mirin ~ is a Japanese rice wine kinda like sake, but with less alcohol content and much sweeter.
Miso Paste ~ there are different kinds of miso paste so pick which you like best. Just remember the darker the miso paste the saltier it will be.
No need to add salt. The miso paste should be enough.

Fresh off the grill. 6 minutes each side.

Yeah, I like my meat rare/med-rare

No comments:

Post a Comment