I love sharing recipes, family memories, craft projects and the stories that go along with them. My family is my inspiriation.



Sunday, September 25, 2011

Cake/Cupcake Stands

So I have been looking high and low for some cake/cupcake stands and couldn't really find anything that I liked. So I decided to take on the challenge of making some. This would not be considered a challenge for the average person, but I not having been gifted with the creative gene, knew it was going to be a little difficult. I started Googling (I heart Google!) homemade cake plates and started picking out what I like about each and combined them to make these. Very easy and took only a couple hours to make.
                                   
So here is the cast of characters. Got everything at Michael's or Lowe's.

1/4in 8x8 and 10x10 pieces of scrap particle board
Wood trim
Bases I found at Michael's
4in and 6in Furniture legs
Kilz-keeps the paint from bleeding into the wood
Wood glue
Spray paint



With help from Mark I started to assemble the stands. All we did was screw in 2 1/2in screw on the top and furniture leg comes with a screw in it and just had to attach it to the base. Cut the trim to fit and using wood glue, glue onto particle board. Sand everything til smooth. Once you have all the pieces attached and sanded, spray a coat of Kilz. What this does, I've been told by the Big Guy, is put a seal on the wood so the color you spray on top doesn't bleed into the wood and it takes less coats to cover. 

 After the Kilz is dry. I spray the color coat. These two pics are with only 2 coats. They took about 4 coats each. Have to make sure you let each coat dry completely before adding the next. Do I really have to mention do spray outside?





This is the pair. Gonna make a 12x12 to make it a 3pc set!


TA-DA!
You can stack these for the layered effect.
Have to pretend there are cupcakes on the bottom stand,
since we ate the rest of them.
                                                                                     





1 comment:

  1. It just dong on me that you used this for your AWESOME cupcakes on Bunco night!!!! I remember thinking how cute it looked and to ask you where you got it.. but I got side tracked and well I knew you made it, but that thought didn't make it to my mind... anyway SO COOL!!!! It really does look great!

    ReplyDelete